From Radical Animator to Frenzied Erotomaniac
- Goto, l’île d’amour : A vital, pre-erotic step in Borowczyk’s work, revealing a highly individual approach to live action as seen through the eyes of an animator.
- The Streetwalker (aka The Margin): A beautiful melancholic meditation on sex in a dirty, dirty world.
- Blanche: Borowczyk’s elegant, sophisticated medieval tragedy exceeds conventional historical dramas.
- The Story of Sin: Eve is traditionally the temptress, but in Borowczyk's tragic 19th-century romance, it is Ewa who is tempted.
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne: A kinky French horror film, with a disturbingly lustful sadism.
- The Beast: Part fairy tale, part sex romp, part Buñuelian satire, Walerian Borowczyk’s most notorious film remains a quirky oddity.
- The Motion Demon: At his best, the ground-breaking Polish director made films as if he had invented cinema.
- Bernard Parmegiani: Bruit Force: Borowczyk's most important musical collaborator was a giant of musique concrète.
- Walerian Borowczyk, the Avant-garde Animator: Before founding fame with his erotic fantasies, the Polish director was an accomplished and inventive animator.
Comic Strip Reviews:
- Who Is Walerian Borowczyk? A survey of the ground-breaking Polish director's career as a board game.
Illustration by Allan Haverholm