Failed expeditions, sinister missions and ill-fated road trips
- Aguirre, Wrath of God: Werner Herzog’s insanely chaotic film about the search for Eldorado
- Encounters at the End of the World: Herzog himself travels to Antarctica to remind us of all that we fail to see.
- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: An ill-fated quest for gold in Mexico
- Apocalypse Now: Conradian pursuit
- Two Lane Blacktop: An existential, cross-country drag race from Los Angeles to Washington DC in a souped-up ’55 Chevy
- Gold: Nina Hoss talks about her character in Thomas Arslan’s German take on the gold rush western road movie genre
- Sightseers: Ben Wheatley talks about his dark comedy in which a couple goes on a murderous road trip across the north of England
- Kate Worsley is Jack Hawkins as Commander Ericson from The Cruel Sea
Comic Strip Review
- Marebito: A photographer who makes his way deep down into the Tokyo subway system to allay his obsession with fear.
- L’orme: A long-lost, intriguing mix of giallo psychological suspense, science fiction and dream-like space travel, accompanied by a tender and beautifully understated soundtrack.
Illustration by Paul O'Connell